|YTD Inventory / Shipment Report |
|7th Marketing Month||Crop: 2019|
1. As this month coincides with the Iranian New Year holidays, exports are generally down and would recover in the 8th month, although measures such as border closures due to the Covid-19 pandemic, restrictions on logistics as well as the imposed foreign exchange regulation (Nyma) have overshadowed the future of Iranian pistachio trade. The inventory at the end of marketing month 7 (102,000 MT) stands at 44% of this year's total inventory of approximately 230,000 MT.
2. The Far East has been the main market for Iranian pistachios through March. Exports to this market amount to 25,000 MT; a 46% drop compared to crop year 2017 for the same period. Since the trend in this market has been toward high volume contracted sales in the past few years, US pistachio’s share of the market is higher than Iran’s.
3. Turkey and UAE have the second highest share of exports through March (17,000 MT), up 42% compared with 2017 for the same period. Turkey and the UAE are mainly considered as re-export markets for Iranian pistachios, part of which is to fill the absence of Turkish pistachio and kernels, and the other covers the traditional markets that prefer Iranian pistachios.
4. Cumulative export shipments to Indian Subcontinent (quality and variety‐oriented market) through March stand at 11,000 MT, down 21% compared to crop year 2017 for the same period. AA in-shell pistachios and Iranian pistachio kernels have a special place in this market, although the significant growth of Californian pistachio shipments to this market in recent years should not be overlooked.
5. In the past seven months, 11,000 MT of Iranian pistachios have been exported to the EU (a health-conscious market). Since the EU market is prone to high-volume contracted sales, US pistachio’s share of this market is naturally higher than Iran’s.
6. Pistachio Kernel shipments (around 14,000 MT) show a significant growth this year, owing to the unique taste and different varieties of Iranian pistachios which cater the diverse tastes of consumers.
|Carry in from prevoius year||22,000|
|Note : addjustment / losses related to shelling and peeling process of kernels and green kernels.|
Current Crop Year